Saturday, July 1, 2017

Cognitive Flow Reflection

The magical sphere of cognitive flow is a place of deep, intense learning. Those of us fortunate enough to have entered this sphere can relate to that lightness of being, that near out of body experience where existence, time and thought appear to be temporarily suspended, giving way to unfettered, effortless, spontaneous experience – and learning.


As an artist and art teacher it’s not surprising that I experience cognitive flow most intensely while painting or drawing, although I also experience it while engaged in other creative, hands-on activities such as cooking and sewing. For me, the starting point for entering this place is that the activity is chosen by me. I’m pretty sure I could never enter this state while solving math problems, or translating a text, not only because these activities are too left brained oriented, and I’m more of a right brained thinker, but also because math and translation are not passions of mine. Inherent in getting here, is that the activity is one in which I already have a foundation of experience and skill, and certainly a strong passion or interest. Once engaged in my chosen activity for a period of time, and if the conditions are right, I notice that the rest of the world falls away, and with it all the thoughts, inhibitions and worries that come with consciousness. The lightness of being experienced here can be compared to being in a Zen or meditative state where one is fully and authentically concentrated and immersed in a single activity. It is almost as though my paintbrush or pencil is moving on its own. I can see my hand moving but I scarcely feel my mind directing my hand. 

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi says flow is an optimal place for learning to happen because it is intrinsically problem-based. See his TedTalk speech here. We problem-solve, think critically, develop ideas and build knowledge of how things work, which techniques or choices are successful and which are not. Learning is maximized in this sphere, says Csikszentmihalyi, because we are intrinsically empowered and motivated, fully unfettered by time constraints, and feel we are part of something larger and deeply meaningful. Essentially, we experience doing something for its own sake. Learning therefore happens here because the process feels effortless, intrinsically and purposefully connected to oneself, uninterrupted, relaxed, efficient and meaningful. Csikszentmihalyi also says that  cognitive flow is  intrinsically motivating because the responsibility to learn in this state of flow lies with us alone, making us active agents in our learning and motivating us to keep learning and moving higher in our learning. See the Edutopia article here. Motivated by this experience, we build increasingly higher skills and continue to build and developed deep understanding of our activity. 

The education and game developer James Paul Gee discusses this phenomenon of motivation through flow when playing games, and highlights the imperative of problem-solving as a key factor in reaching flow:  gamers are given a problem, they practice over and over, they learn the routine knowledge and enter into flow, and are then given a new problem which encourage them to continue to develop skills and solve problems. See his Youtube video here. Gee says that learning is at its best when it is ‘pleasantly frustrating’ – in other words, when there is a challenge, but you know that with concerted effort and problem solving, you can reach your goals. The problem-solving element is that which motivates us to keep going, and which ultimately envelopes us in this flow state. 


It is precisely these elements of challenge, solving problems, building skills, seeing results, and feeling that you are achieving you goals while doing something you love that bring us into a flow state. Painting for me is precisely this.  I have a long-term goal and aspiration, yet there are dozens of obstacles along the way that require my utmost attention, critical and creative thinking and problem solving skills. These challenges, along with the development of skills and knowledge, keep me hooked, while the awareness that I’m making progress and reaching my goals motivates me to continue…until someone interrupts me and snaps me out of this magical place.


Sources:
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, 'Flow, the Secret the Happiness'. Retrieved July 1 from https://www.ted.com/talks/mihaly_csikszentmihalyi_on_flow
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, 'Motivating People to Learn'. Retrieved July 1 from https://www.edutopia.org/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi-motivating-people-learn
James Paul Gee, 'Principles of Gaming'. Retrieved July 1 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aQAgAjTozk

No comments:

Post a Comment