Monday, June 19, 2017

Teacher Evaluation Systems

1. AFT Evaluation System

The AFT designs comprehensive, forward-thinking and relevant teacher evaluations that protect the profession of teaching while ensuring the highest quality of learning for students. A critical characteristic of this system is that evaluations are not punitive, rather they are seen as allies to teachers, with the goal of helping teachers grow, developing and improve. 

Key components in this system:  
  1. Communicating to teachers what professional teaching standards should look like and how to achieve them, and promoting an understanding of what good teaching practices are;
  2. Considering multiple and diverse evidence of a teacher’s performance, with consideration for the scoring and weight of evaluation criteria, so teachers are evaluated broadly and regularly;
  3. Communicating the purpose, guidelines, goals and focus areas of evaluations, so teacher are informed and aware of the what to expect;
  4. Consideration for the professional context, the teaching and the learning environment within which a teacher works, so evaluations are relevant and sensitive to individual teachers;
  5. The continuous provision of strong support for teachers including high quality professional development, feedback, mentoring and coaching.

The fair and transparent nature of this type of teacher evaluation communicates to teachers that the purpose of the evaluation is to support their teaching and help them improve the knowledge, skills and practices necessary for their profession. 

2. NEA Evaluation System

The NEA is similar to the AFT teacher evaluation system in that it seeks to enhance the teaching practice by focusing on facilitating effective teaching which will make it possible to improve student learning while strengthening a teacher’s commitment to her profession.

The NEA and AFT are strongly aligned in the areas outlined above (see AFT), with NEA stressing a focus on two additional areas:

a. Teacher input in setting and determining learning outcomes to be evaluated, and;
b. Involvement of local teacher associations in the creation and design of evaluations.

The addition of these ‘no one size fits all’ approaches ensures that evaluations are fair, balanced, and mindful of the diverse and changing local contexts and the political realities within which individual teachers work.

3. TVAAS Evaluation System

The Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) is an evaluation system, which measures student growth, not student proficiency. Understanding the impact schools and teachers have on their students' academic progress allows TVAAS to identify best practices and implement programs that meet the needs of students.

TVAAS provides two types of information:
  1. Backwards-looking ‘value-added’ or growth data, analyzes data from previous years to evaluate how much students have gained in a school year. Value-added is a statistical analysis used to measure the impact of districts, schools and teachers on the academic progress rates of groups of students from year-to-year. The ‘value added’ lens of measuring student learning provides educators with valuable information to ensure they are meeting the academic needs of cohorts of students, as well as individual students.
  2. Forward-looking projection data uses already analyzed data to help schools make informed, data-driven decisions about where to focus resources and consider intervention planning.
Unlike the first two evaluation systems, TVAAS prioritizes data analysis to understand student growth and makes decisions and allocation of resources dependent on the analysis of this information. The role of teachers is not central to this evaluation system. While all three systems put the interests of students and the quality of learning at the forefront, the first two have a stronger focus on individual teachers and on strengthening the quality of teaching, as a means to improving overall educational quality for all students.


Evaluations in my clinical practice:

The 12-week clinical teaching period was an intense time with countless opportunities to demonstrate my professional growth and development. My mentor and I worked closely each week to create rewarding, challenging and growth oriented opportunities for me. Thanks to these regular feedback sessions, I quickly understood what expectations my mentor had of me. Close communication with my mentor helped my understand where I needed to perform, improve and reflect on my practice, so that I could continue to improve and grow while feeling successful in my evaluations.

Below are some of the areas I felt I should be evaluation are:
  1. The ability to back up my curricular and teaching choices, when asked. This proves that my lesson planning and teaching is reflective, purposeful and well thought-through.
  2. Having a back-up plan. This shows that I am flexible, creative, and can think on my feet.
  3. Organization and preparation. This demonstrates my pre-planning skills and attention to detail and time.
  4. Self-reflective and open to criticism. This demonstrates my growth mind-set and my strong desire to improve and grow in my profession.
  5. Regularly checking for understanding reinforcing lessons or reteaching lessons. This shows my dedication to student learning and understanding, and demonstrates my knowledge about how learning happens.
  6. My impact on student academic growth. This explores the direct connections that my teaching strategies, approach and my curricular choices have on student learning.
  7. Classroom culture, respect for students and student engagement. This shows how my character, my tone, my relationship with students, and my rules and procedures all influence the overall social, learning and cultural climate in my classroom.
  8. Ongoing reflection and communication with my mentor. This demonstrates my commitment to learning and growing in my profession.
  9. Demonstration and evidence of using and understanding pedagogical strategies, such as: how I’m engaging students; question types (open-ended, questions encouraging deeper learning); giving thinking time; differentiation techniques; awareness of multiple intelligences - variety and options in learning (think-pair-share, jig-saw, PBL); Bloom’s taxonomy (how learning happens and higher learning). 
  10. My professionalism. This demonstrates my ability to prioritize and remain committed to the profession, my students, parents and the school while upholding the overall integrity of my profession.


Sources:
Teacher Development and Evaluation. Retrieved June 18 from https://www.aft.org/position/teacher-development-and-evaluation
 NEA. Teacher Evaluation: A Resource Guide for National Education Association Leaders and Staff.pdf
TVAAS. Reports. Retrieved June 18 from https://tvaas.sas.com/welcome.html?as=c


No comments:

Post a Comment